Steven Fales

Steven Fales
Steven Fales -- Actor/Writer/Producer

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Halifax to Houston

Well, my friends, it's been over a year since I posted anything on this blog and it's time to start catching up and moving forward. Blogging can be so delicate. I am still gun shy from assaults and insults from the Right and the Left from my old "Mormon Boy Blog." I never knew I'd have to learn to deal with so many anonymous cyber bullies. I'm back. I will not tolerate disrespect from any anonymous comments. You call me on the carpet--you have the courage to identify yourself clearly. My blog is not an anonymous, anarchist colony. It's my own, personal democracy. Wink!

In the last year I have been able to do my work from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Houston, Texas and most recently in Richmond, VA at Richmond Triangle Players for their Acts of Faith Festival.

"Peggy's Cove" near Halifax, Nova Scoatia, Canada
(That's my Canadian souvenir from Roots!)

In Halifax I performed Confessions of a Mormon Boy at the 22nd Annual Atlantic Fringe Festival where I received the "Overall Fringe Hit Award". Soon thereafter I was off to perform at one of my favorite theatres in America, Theatre Lab Houston. I was able to do Confessions and then a healthy run of Missionary Position. Critics from both cities said things in reviews that I've always hoped would be said about my work. I think I'm really getting the hang of this!

I was in Dallas to receive a "Global Hero Award" from Youth First Texas for telling my stories all over the world. Well, there are lots of places left to go!

The plan is to do the entire The Mormon Boy Trilogy off Broadway Spring 2014. There is so much to prepare for. I will return to Richmond Triangle Players for an out-of-town tryout of the entire Mormon Boy Trilogy in January 2014. Then I will transfer off Broadway with all the shows in the trilogy in repertory: Confessions of a Mormon Boy, Missionary Position and Prodigal Dad.

I've booked Confessions in Maine next fall. I've got other bookings pending as well. I'm crossing my fingers for Prodigal Dad in San Francisco. It needs a bit more tweaking.

There's the new album that just came out called Confessions of a Mormon Boy (Live from London). It was recorded live at Charing Cross Theatre in London's West End in September 2011 right after my run at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

 
"Confessions of a Mormon Boy (Live from London)" is my new album
now available on iTunes, Amazon or here at CDbaby


Additionally my sound engineer and I are working on a new album called Mormon American Princess. We'll see if lifted the songs from live tapings provides a decent album worth procuring rights for all the outrageous medleys, gender-blended songs and parodies--and originals! You must hear the song I wrote called "Narcissus". It's about the dark shadow side in all of us. Can I tell you how much I love being creative and abandoning myself to going deeper and farther?

 
"Narcissus" (music and lyrics by Steven Fales) from
Mormon American Princess: A Cabaret Confection
(filmed at MCC Los Angeles) 

The biggest of deal of all is that my literary agent is excited about my book proposal Mormon Boy: A Memoir of Royalty and White Trash in America. Please let a publisher pick it up. To independently publish is something I would prefer not to tackle. It's hard enough when you do have a publisher. That's what I learned working with Alyson Books, my first publisher for my fun Lambda Literary Award Finalist: Confessions of a Mormon Boy: Behind the Scenes of the Off-Broadway Hit.
(Available at Amazon.com)

There are so many other things to catch you up on. For now let's just say I'm single, sober, creative, and preparing to move back to New York City. Bit by bit I will post all the exiting things that are starting to happen.

Keep smiling!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment